Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Fabulous First Day!


I drove to school this morning with butterflies in my stomach, just like I do every year on the first day, but there was something different about today. Even my husband said to me last night, "This is the most calm I have ever seen you the night before the first day of school!" I'm not sure what brought about this new sense of calm, but it felt great! I couldn't wait to get to school and see my students for their first full day!

As we gathered in the cafeteria, I was happy to see one smiling face after another. It was clear that they were just as excited as I was. There was a subtle chatter as we settled in, got organized, and started getting to know one another. They were enthusiastic but respectful. Energetic but not overwhelming. I dare to say that it was the perfect combination.

Each day of the first week, we will be doing different activities that focus on team building, class building, and character building. Today's focus was on "friendship" - a character trait that plays an important role in a second grade classroom. I read the book "The Rainbow Fish" to the class. It is a sweet story about a fish who is covered in many different colored scales, as well as many desirable shimmering scales. At the beginning of the story, the rainbow fish refuses to share any of his shiny scales and finds himself alone. As he slowly starts giving away his scales one by one, he realizes the joy that can come from sharing.

After finishing the story, we proceeded to discuss what it meant to be a good friend. When I asked the students to think of some words that described a good friend, I was blown away by some of their answers. Kind, loving, respectful, responsible, and honest were just some of their responses. We then created our own rainbow fish. Each one had its own glimmering scale upon which they wrote their favorite describing word for a good friend. The next time you are at school, stop by to see these fish in our hallway display, "A Rainbow of Friendship".

When it came time to pack up and call it a day, the students seemed almost sad that the day was over. They couldn't believe how fast the day had gone. Time flies when you're having fun! I can't wait to do again tomorrow!!

1 day down. 179 to go. It's going to be a GREAT year!!

My baby girls, Ann Catherine (10 mo.) and Eliza (2), sending Momma to school with smiles
& dressed in their Henry Clay orange and blue "fish" themed outfits

Mrs. Cox and Miss Mills - Excited for our Second Graders to "Swim on In" 

All ready to head to the classroom!


They are SO excited to be second graders! 

Creating our own Rainbow Fish

Eating lunch with Miss Mills


A little musical relief with Mrs. Harris





2 comments:

  1. Thank you Mrs. Cox! I love these pics of the kiddos! The classroom looks amazing! The perfect environment to let those creative minds soar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv the outfits the girls are in! They look beautiful

    ReplyDelete